Here's what I came up with:
- Introduce yourself first
- Ask the first question
- Give people undivided attention
- Use people's names
- Figure out something you have in common
- Figure out how you can help them
- Be unapologetically yourself
- Invite them to do stuff with you
- Be vulnerable, share things about yourself
- Ask good questions! brainstorm questions beforehand
This might just seem like common sense (and here's a book with more common sense), but these things are all so easy to forgot about! I found it helpful to have a list, anyway. I also noted that not every conversation has to be deep and meaningful, small talk is good too.
FYI: This list was sitting in my unfinished drafts folder for such a long time that I decided to just publish it as-is. What do you think of this format? Is my brainstorming helpful? Let me know in the comments!